Discharging Your Mortgage

When your mortgage is paid off you need to clear the title of the property by discharging the mortgage. This is done by recording a document at the Registry of Deeds usually called either a “Discharge of Mortgage” or a “Satisfaction of Mortgage.”

Sometimes your lending institution or closing attorney will record the discharge on your behalf, but more often you will receive the Discharge of Mortgage in the mail and will need to record it yourself.

In order to make public notification that you have paid your mortgage off, you need to bring the original Discharge of Mortgage provided by the bank to the Registry of Deeds along with either cash or a check in the amount of $105.00. The Registry will record the Discharge and return it to you immediately.

The Worcester Registry of Deeds records documents from 9:00AM to 4:00PM Monday-Friday and is located at 90 Front Street, Worcester, MA Suite C201.

You may also mail the original Discharge of Mortgage to the Registry for recording. Please include a check for $105.00 made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for the recording fee and enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope to the Worcester Registry of Deeds, 90 Front Street, Worcester, MA 01608.

Hablas Español?

Vision Impaired Assistance

This website has been created to facilitate use by vision impaired persons. It is Screen reader friendly, Uses contrasting colors where possible, Employs colored actions prompts and is equipped with a text enlarger and contrast color changer.

Accessibility Toolbar


Worcester Registry of Deeds
90 Front St
Worcester, MA 01608