- All documents must be legible and signed with an original signature or be a certified true-attested copy. When required, they must be notarized and the notary’s name must be printed under the signature along with the expiration date of the notary's commission.
- An excise tax applies to all deeds with a consideration greater than $100. The tax rate is 2.28 for each $500 or fraction of consideration. Please use our Excise Tax Calculator.
- Grantee’s address must appear on all deeds and assignments of mortgage.
- A property address must be put in the left margin for all deeds and mortgages.
- The re-recording of an original document to correct an error or omission is prohibited.
- Documents containing social security numbers must have the number redacted (covered, made illegible) prior to recording.
- If the document refers to an attached exhibit, the exhibit must be attached.
- Printing shall be on one side only; double-sided pages will not be accepted. Please note, double-sided pages are accepted for recording in Registered Land.
- The text on all document pages must be of sufficient size to be legibly reproduced on a standard Registry scanner.
- The first page of all documents must contain sufficient space to allow a barcode label and excise tax stamp, if required, to be affixed to the document.
- All document pages and attachments must be on paper that is no larger than 8.5 inches x 14 inches.
- Addresses and telephone numbers must be noted on all checks.
- Checks for recording fees must be in the exact amount and should be payable to the "Commonwealth of Massachusetts", deeds excise must be on a separate check.
- A self-addressed, stamped envelope must be included with documents submitted by mail or recorded at the Recorded Land counter.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTERED LAND DOCUMENTS
- All documents must have the property address stated on the first page (In the left margin for deeds and mortgages).
- All documents must reference the certificate number of the deed associated with the property.
- The address of the Grantee (or assignee) must be stated in the document.
- On a discharge/release, the document number for the mortgage you would like discharged is required.
- If a document is required to be filed in both Recorded and Registered Land, it should be filed in Registered Land first. Separate checks are required for two way documents.
- The seller or borrower must sign the document in the exact same way they took title. AKA (also-known-as) and NKA (now-known-as) are not accepted. FKA (formerly-known-as) is only allowed with a marriage, a divorce, or a legal name change decree attached.
- An affidavit of no divorce and a death certificate is required from the surviving spouse.
- A proper legal description for Registered Land should include Lot #, Plan #, and the Certificate of Title where the plan is filed.
- All documents must be legible and capable of being reproduced by staff.