About the Register
In November of 2016, Stephen J. Murphy was elected the 31st Register of Deeds for the Suffolk District.
Since becoming Register of Deeds, Steve has taken a very active role in raising the visibility and improving the operations of the Registry of Deeds. His efforts include:
- Steve has brought the Registry of Deeds to every corner of Suffolk County, his program “Traveling Tuesdays” has answered the real estate questions of hundreds of residents of Boston, Chelsea, Revere and Winthrop.
- Steve has worked in partnership with Secretary of State Bill Galvin to improve the Suffolk Registry of Deeds’ website suffolkdeeds.com by making the website more user and mobile friendly.
- Steve has dedicated additional manpower and resources to reduce the backlog of registered land certificates.
- Steve has restructured the Registry to offer more opportunities for advancement in an effort to improve employee morale and further professionalize the office.
- Steve has recently hired staff fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese, and Spanish. These employees allow the Registry to better serve all of the residents of Suffolk County.
- Steve has provided additional training and supervision of document indexing to improve the accuracy of Registry records.
Steve attended Boston Latin School and graduated from Stonehill College where he received a degree in business administration. Steve worked for a transportation company during and after college, eventually becoming Vice President of the company before entering public service.
Steve served as an At-Large member of the Boston City Council from 1997-2015, serving as President of the Boston City Council for three terms.
Steve lives in Hyde Park with his wife Bridget Simmons Murphy and their cat Dora.