Foreclosure Assistance

Foreclosure Avoidance Assistance is available through Local Foreclosure Avoidance Counselors and from the Office of Attorney General Maura Healy.

  • Local Foreclosure Avoidance Counselors:

Foreclosure avoidance counselors advise homeowners who are struggling to make their mortgage payments or have fallen behind in their mortgage payments and are at risk of losing their homes to foreclosure.

The Citizens’ Housing and Planning Association (CHAPA) believes that every person in Massachusetts should have a safe, healthy, and affordable place to call home. They achieve this goal by advocating for opportunity, expanding access to housing, and developing the field through training and education.  For foreclosure counseling in Boston, Chelsea, Revere and Winthrop – CHAPA lists the following foreclosure counseling agencies:


  1. Action for Boston Community Development (ABCD) – Downton Boston
    (617) 348-6000
  2. Chelsea Restoration Corporation – Chelsea
    (617) 889-2277
  3. City of Boston – Department of Neighborhood Development – Downtown Boston
    (617) 635-4663
  4. Codman Square Neighborhood Development Corporation - Dorchester
    (617) 825-4224
  5. Ecumenical Social Action Committee (ESAC) – Jamaica Plain
    (617) 524-4820
  6. Homeowners Options for Massachusetts Elders (HOME) – Greater Boston
    (781) 848-5200
  7. Mattapan Community Development Corporation – Mattapan
    (617) 296-2000
  8. Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership (MBHP) – Greater Boston
    (617) 425-6761
  9. Neighborhood of Affordable Housing (NOAH) – East Boston
    (617) 418-8261
  10. Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation – Roxbury
    (617) 318-1253
  11. Urban Edge Housing Corporation - Roxbury
    (617) 989-9307

  • The Office of Attorney General Maura Healey:

The Office of Attorney General Maura Healey provides foreclosure assistance for distressed homeowner(s). The Attorney General’s Office – Consumer Advocacy & Response Division (CARD) can answer your questions, refer you to a wide network of consumer assistance services, or, in some cases, directly assist you in resolving your problem.  You can contact CARD by filing a Consumer Complaint or by calling them at (617) 727-8400.  In addition, the Attorney General provides grants to a statewide network of Local Consumer Programs (LCPs).  The LCPs provide the same free consumer advocacy assistance that is provided through CARD.


At this page you can:

- Learn about the foreclosure, loan modification, or the mortgage lending process.
- Locate resources for distressed homeowners and tenants.
- File a Consumer Complaint with CARD. 

At this page you can:

- Obtain help applying for a loan modification.
- Obtain assistance stopping a foreclosure sale.
- Obtain help finding alternative housing.
- Obtain help finding an attorney.
- Learn about the Boston Community Capital SUN Initiative. 

At this page the following LCP’s are offered to assist Suffolk County residents:

-   Boston Mayor’s Office of Community Affairs and Licensing

City Hall, Room 817
Boston, MA 02201
(617) 635-3834

-   Neighborhood of Affordable Housing

143 Border St.
East Boston, MA 02128
(617) 418-8263

-   Revere Consumer Affairs Office

150 Beach St.
Revere, MA 02151
(781) 286-8114
No webpage listed