Discharging Your Mortgage

Getting Started

When your mortgage is paid off you need to clear the title of the property by discharging the mortgage. This done by recording a document at the Registry of Deeds usually called either a “Discharge of Mortgage” or a Satisfaction of Mortgage”.

Sometimes, your lending institution or closing attorney will file the discharge on your behalf, but more often you will receive the Discharge of Mortgage in the mail and will need to file it yourself.

In order to make public notification that you have paid your mortgage off, you need to bring the “original” Discharge of Mortgage provided by the bank to the registry of deeds along with either cash or a check in the amount of $105.00. The Registry will record the Discharge and return it to you immediately. If you have Registered Land the Discharge will remain at the Registry of Deeds but you will receive (free of charge) a certified copy of the Discharge after recording.

The Middlesex North Registry of Deeds records documents from 8:30AM to 4:15PM Monday-Friday.

You may also mail the original Discharge of Mortgage to the Registry for recording (again you must provide the Registry the original document). Please remember to include a check for $105.00 made out to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for the recording fee. 

If you choose to mail in your discharge, please send the original discharge to:

Middlesex North Registry of Deeds
370 Jackson St
Lowell, MA 01852

All mail is recorded and mailed back to the homeowner the day it arrives at the Registry.

Hablas Espanol?


Middlesex North Registry of Deeds
370 Jackson St.
Lowell, MA 01852
Main Number: (978) 322-9000
Fax Number: (978) 322-9001

Accessibility Toolbar

Vision Impaired Assistance

This website has been created to facilitate use by vision impaired persons. It is Screen reader friendly, Uses contrasting colors where possible, Employs colored actions prompts and is equipped with a text enlarger and contrast color changer.

Translate »